Sunday 12 May 2013

Using my 90mm Tilt/Shift Lens

I recently picked up my 90mm tilt/shift lens and just started playing with it.


My Cannon 90mm t/s lens


It [ie the "shift" feature] is traditionally used in architectural photography to keep walls straight and in perspective; however, it's a very cool lens because the tilt feature allows you to adjust the plane of focus relative to both the axis of the camera and plane of the sensor. In short, it allows you to tweak the depth of field and also the shape of this space in focus. Here are some quick shots of some of my kettle bells on a rug to show you how the depth of field can be manipulated by tilting the lens.

Normal shot taken at f2.8
Shot again at f2.8 but with 8 degrees of down tilt. Notice how the tops of both handles are now in focus whilst the ground is blurred.
Shot again at f2.8 but this time I used up tilt to focus on the top half of the object in the foreground.



















I've touched on the "tilt" feature of these cool lenses. Here is a link to a very complete understanding of tilt/shift lenses. But be warned, have a strong coffee before reading as it requires your full attention :-)

have fun :-)


Subscribe via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment