Wednesday 1 May 2013

Are you thinking like a photographer?

Whenever I arrive at a location, I get a huge energy rush of excitement ... it's a bit like a young boy on Christmas morning, eagerly waiting to see what gifts he would get. The difference this time is that I can not wait to take that killer shot and share this amazing moment with everyone on the planet!

For me that is the difference between a tourist and a photographer. Let me explain: a few years ago whenever I arrived at a gorgeous place, I would put my moto guzzi in the frame  - to show others that I was there; that was me thinking like a tourist. Photographers take images to show others why they should come to this place.

Ok so after Ive said "wow" a few dozen times, my photographer's brain kicks in. At first I can only see the big picture, the forms, colours, textures, how the light is interacting with the land and sky. After I've walked around for a while and immersed myself in the location, only then can I see the small scale things, like the texture of the individual trees, how individual elements within the scene interact with each other, or feeling and seeing the light change in brightness as it hides behind clouds and its effect on the colours and shadows.

I often get overwhelmed with so much beauty in front of me and how I should interpret or frame it. To help me find the shot I am looking for, I ask myself "Why do I want to take this shot?" or "What story do I want to tell?" or simply thinking of the name I would give the image often helps me find the shot I am looking for. 

Here is an image I love. I only saw the main tree and the red earth from the roadside, but once I could "see" the background, I had an idea of how I would connect them all together.  


Thankfully  I could position myself so that the composition is balanced and the trees in the background were placed neatly under the lower branches of the main tree.

So the next time you see a gorgeous view - will you be a tourist or a photographer?

have fun ... :-)

see more of my images


Subscribe via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment