Wednesday 29 May 2013

How to be your own critic ...

If photography is subjective, then why do we have critics, competitions and awards?

Before I answer that question, here is how I critique my own work. I think of the acronym E.A.T. If you are a good photographer then you will be able to E.A.T. if not, then ... Ok, so E.A.T. stands for emotional, artistic and technical.

Emotional: does my image create the emotion I am looking for? It is hard to create a sombre mood in full sunlight if there is nothing to give the viewer the cues to feel sad or reflective. What story am I telling and is it working?

Artistic: How have I composed the image or elements within the image to produce an effect? How effectively have I used either my camera or the space around me to create the image? Has the use of Photoshop been effective?

Technical: Is the image sharp? in focus? bokeh? noisy/artifacts? overdone the use of Photoshop?


Here is an image ... I would love you to critique it for me.





Getting back to the question about competitions and awards; I can see the need to award photographers who create awesome images that can tell a powerful story and possessing artistic and technical brilliance - how about you?

have fun :-)

see more of my images


Subscribe via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment