Tuesday 2 September 2014

I'd thought I had learnt all of the rookie mistakes, then I do this and almost miss a gorgeous scene

Here is the shot I waited hours to get ....







A good indicator that something cool was going to happen was that the sky started to turn yellow 3 hours before sunset!

Ok so with 3 hours until show time, here was my thinking:

About a little over an hour until sunset I would head off. It takes me about 40 mins to drive to this location giving me time to set up and choose a good spot.


Sounds good - well I left at about the right time, dialled in the location into my GPS and chose the shortest route. The route took me into the city. Sadly roadworks halted the traffic chewing up a lot of time. I got to the beach with about 20 minutes to go, so I wasn't too stressed, but I did not plan on not being able to find a parking bay. In the past parking was easy. With less than 10 minutes before sunset I found a parking spot and I ran to the beach with my gear. Minutes to go I didn't have time to check out what was happening at the beach and find a good spot to frame the sunset . I got tunnel vision ie found a spot and started shooting. Then I realised that the night before I was shooting under artificial lights and so my white balance was all wrong! I adjusted the white balance and took some more shots. Finally after a minute or two I starting to open up my vision to find a story to tell and shoot other types of images.

So as you can tell, this image nearly didn't happen.

Lessons to relearn.

1. Be at the location and then wait for sunset or sunrise, because they won't wait for you.
2. Alter your WB before you head out of the house.
3. It takes time to find stories in a scene, so get there early to find the story.
4. GPS devices do not know everything!
5. Factor in time for events you cannot factor in.


Have fun! :-)


see more of my images



Instagram





Subscribe via RSS




No comments:

Post a Comment