Saturday 10 August 2013

Photographing your holiday

I recently came back from a two week speed trek through France, Belgium and Germany.
What photographic gear would you take with you?

Well I took: 1 camera body, 3x4Gb, 2x8Gb, 2x16 Gb memory cards, a tripod, a light meter, a remote shutter release, my Lee Filters (polarizing and grad ND filters), 6xtwin-battery packs, recharging gear and my 17-40mm, 90mm t/s and my 70-200mm zoom lens.

What lessons did I learn after two weeks?

1. Genuine batteries cost lots more but they last much longer.
2. The zoom lens was next to useless compared to my 90mm t/s and wide angle lens.
3. I lots of thinking fast on my feet to identify a cool scene and how I would compose it. 
4. I took many different types of photos of the same scene to try different techniques and artistic ideas.
5. I didn't have time to use my tripod or seldom used my light meter. But I did get better at adjusting the WB and using the palm of my hand or  the histogram to set the exposure.
6. Using zone focus with crowd shots works well - very unobtrusive.
7. I love my t/s lens - both the tilt, shift and rotation features.
8. I took "just" enough memory cards.

So the next time you head off on a holiday - what gear will you take with you?

have fun! ☺

see more of my images


Subscribe via RSS





No comments:

Post a Comment