Monday 9 December 2013

A CF Card Dies!

I recently came back home from a full day taking some shots of the Avon Region. I put the CF card into the card reader ready to upload and enjoy the viewing, but my Mac told me it couldn't read it. After reattempting a few times, I didn't waist any time in plugging my camera directly into the Mac to read the images. Once I was happy that my images were safely on my HD I tried to reformat and/or repair this low budget CF card. Ive reformatted this card about eight times but it didn't make the journey to the ninth. Time for a new CF card.

At this time of year everyone is sharing time with family and friends, and taking photos at family gatherings. So some take home lessons for me:

1. Memory cards die as do hard drives.... I keep multiple copies of all of my important images.
2. Don't keep all of your work on a 16Gb card - it's not a long term storage device. Use a number of smaller cards just in case one dies and transfer them after each photo trip or project.
3. Learn how to read images directly from your camera - just in case you need to.
4. Family gatherings are important times of the year, don't keep important images stored on your memory card - copy them to a safer place. 

Here are the images I could have lost. 







have fun! ☺

see more of my images





Subscribe via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment